Tuesday, July 16, 2013

It's Easier to Do Other People's Homes

I seem to be experiencing "Technical Difficulties", but undaunted, I blog on...

We have begun the renovation in full force...7am, the workment arrive...I introduce them to our dog, "Lil Missy", aka "Mistletoe", so she won't be barking at them everytime she looks out the window, and sees them working.

This is her "Glamour Shot"...We rescued her last October, and she's brought such joy into our lives...
At first, the construction guys were a bit concerned, seeing a pittbull (okay, boxer/pitt mix) coming at them (I did make sure she was on a leash, so as not to terrify them)..after she licked them half to death, they figured out she wasn't a threat.
The house is grey, dark, and uninviting...This was taken (obviously) when the leaves were off the trees...We have since added mulch, and have picked the new color...Sherwin Williams "Urban Putty"...Presented it to the Architectural Review fellow..he didn't see a problem...I'd be surprised if he did, as there is a house down the road that it lime green ..gah.

The deck will have new railings (bringing it to code), and will be Sherwin Williams "Smoke Tree"...all the weeds are gone, but with all the rain, we have a bumper crop of mushrooms, and not the good kind..

The lower level has my studio, a small office, and this wonderful, wood burning stove...it does get cold here on the Cumberland Plateau...We are not doing much to it, other than a fresh coat of white...

The God-Awful, ditzy, outdated wallcovering is finally off the little (I call it the "submariner's bathroom", as it is so small)..My husband, Robert, has scraped, scrubbed, sanded, and now, is putting on the "Kilz", as some of the glue would otherwise seep through..Can't wait to get the Sherwin Williams "Koi Pond" on the walls - photos to follow..there is hope!

We've decided to keep the red door and sidelights..I am taking down the carriage lanterns, and since they are so corroded, sanding them, and painting them black.

This is the view from our deck...and the reason we adore this house..it changes with the lighting, the seasons, and every morning, I open my curtains in the living room, and thank God for this view...and this day...
The views alone make all the construction, painting, scraping, sewing of window treatments, scrubbing, and all the other things it takes to bring this house back to life...

In contrast, we lived for seven years with a terrible drought in Texas...Dust and Deer Poop...This is my recently dear-departed Raisenette Funicello Buttafuco (he head-butted things), communing with the deer...I miss my kitty (he was seventeen), and I miss my deer...the 107 degree temps, the deer poo, the fireants, the scorpions...not so much.
My friends, who have a gazillion, lovely blue hydrangea bushes were kind enough to let me take as many as I liked..and dry them...sadly, all these after they dried, fit in one vase..I'd like more, but don't want to be greedy...okay, I want to be greedy.
Soooo, tomorrow, I hope to assail you with two, countem, two freshly-painted bathrooms....aren't you excited?  No...?  I am...and so it Missy...
                                 Sort of...

2 comments:

  1. Hello! My name is Katy and I am the social media coordinator for KILZ brand products. We are happy to hear that our primer helped you and we would love for you to share your experience with our products by writing a review. Simply click on this link, select the product used and write/submit a review: http://bit.ly/WpAXp6

    We appreciate the feedback! If you ever have any questions on our products or on your next painting project, please contact us directly at ask@kilz.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy from Kilz, I tried to click on the link, but nothing happened...that said, Kilz is a great product. Several years ago, after the death of my brother-in-law, I took it upon myself to paint and refurbish the lower level of my then 85 year-old-mother-in-law's home. He had sat down there, and smoked three packs of cigarettes for 30 years. There was simulated wood paneling, with thirty years of nicotene on it..I tried scrubbing it, but, it wouldn't come off...five, yes, five coats of KILZ later, I was able to paint over it, and five years later, it still looks great.
    We are in another older home, and the wallcovering paste is a nightmare to remove..we did...and we scrubbed and sanded (wet sanded) the goo off, but a coat of KILZ is on the bathroom, waiting for it's final coat of latex paint. Also, the paper from the drywall came off with the wallcovering, so my husband put a coat of KILZ (latex) over it, and then, has been spackling over it...it is a chore, but it is making it possible to restore the walls.

    ReplyDelete